Why Indoor Air Quality Testing Is Essential

Indoor pollutants that contaminate our air can be perceptible (visible)or imperceptible (odorless, colorless, etc.). Imperceptible indoor pollutants are a serious problem because they often remain unnoticed, leading to long-term exposure and chronic health problems.

When it comes to indoor pollutants, the indoor air quality (IAQ) of a house, office or any indoor space is compromised not only because indoor pollutants are colorless, odorless, and tasteless, but also because they present serious health risks to people who breathe them in. You can click here http://www.southdowns.eu.com/ to know that indoor air quality testing is essential or not.

Image result for enviroement consultant

Indoor air pollutants can be both chemical and biological. While VOCs (volatile organic compounds), formaldehyde, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), and tobacco smoke are the major chemical contaminants, bacteria, fungi, and mold are the major biological contaminants of indoor air.

Common sources of indoor air pollutants are paints, solvents, air fresheners, cosmetics, adhesives and glues, pesticides, fuel for stoves, heaters, fireplaces and chimneys, oven cleaners, asbestos, carpeting, candles, vehicle exhaust, and surprisingly even wallpaper. All of these objects and materials release gasses or particles into the air, thereby polluting it and the living environment.

Mold, mold spores, or microscopic fungi, which are almost omnipresent, grow in warm, damp, and humid conditions. When in an active growth phase, they release gasses called mold volatile organic compounds, or MVOCs, into the air. What's more, not all these gasses can be detected by smell. Allergic reactions, respiratory problems, runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing, and skin rashes are the most common health effects of mold exposure. With prolonged exposure to mold, people with chronic lung illness can develop mold infections in their lungs.